Firefox Front-End Engineering Manager
November 2019 - Present
- Grew a team from 6 to 10 through hiring and internal transfers.
- Drove multiple large cross-team projects, such as the New Print UI and MR1 UI Refresh.
- Determined what the next improvements to Firefox should be, assigned people, and got them done.
- Identified areas of growth, provided opportunities, and got promotions for multiple people at multiple levels.
Firefox UX Engineering Manager
January 2016 - November 2019
- Grew a team to three employees, working on prototypes, polish bugs, internal tools, and designing the DevTools.
- Successfully advocated for more resources for the projects we were working on.
- Transferred people to other teams when they outgrew the scope of the tasks we were responsible for.
Firefox UX Engineer
September 2014 - January 2016
- Created interactive prototypes to let designers work with their designs, and put in front of users for testing and validation.
- Fixed many polish bugs, to bring the front-end closer in line with the spec, and add consistency.
- Wrote internal tools and created a Design System site to help the designers implement and communicate their designs.
Thunderbird Developer/UX Lead
January 2010 - September 2014
- Fixed bugs and implemented new features for Thunderbird 3, Mozilla’s email client.
- Oversaw students doing the same.
- Worked on a Django-based front-end for a database of ISP configuration settings.
- Took over management of a team of 1 full-time employee and three contractors.
Various (Independent Contractor)
November 2008 - December 2009
- Fixed bugs and implemented new features for Thunderbird 3.0, Mozilla’s email client.
- Oversaw students working on a database of ISP configuration settings.
- Specified and wrote a couple of iPhone applications.
- Finished release of Churchill Downs Mobile Application.
- Initiated code review and led meetings for the open source Basie Project.
- Researched bugs and suggested and implemented fixes for former clients.
- Rewrote a build system in Ant (from Microsoft's cmd shell).
- Wrote an invoice generator using JQuery, CouchDB, and BlueprintCSS.
February 2002 - November 2008
- Mentored and assisted co-workers and co-op students.
- Designed and developed several translation servers, based on the Phantom Fiber Server Framework.
- Added several key features and fixed many bugs in the Phantom Fiber Server Framework.
- Ran the build server, packaged products for deployment, and assisted clients in deploying those products.
- Designed and developed a Web front-end to the server using SpringMVC, Facelets, and JSF.
- Architected, implemented, maintained, and enhanced four core pieces of functionality.
- Designed and developed several tools to assist in building the software, as well as to prevent errors in critical infrastructure.
- Moved nearly seamlessly from client to server to supporting products to tools and back.
University of Waterloo - BMath
- Mentoring people to grow their responsibilities and skills.
- Communicating and building concensus among teams.
- Suggesting ideas for and planning upcoming projects.
- Rust - 4 years (personal projects only).